The Importance of Carbon Monoxide Testing

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning It seems like a couple decades ago “carbon monoxide poisoning” wasn’t “as well-known as it is today. Fortunately, there is more awareness today regarding this potential fatal health hazard.

Carbon monoxide, for those of you who don’t know, is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas that can kill you. It’s found in the fumes any time you burn fuel in cars, trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges or furnaces. The majority of the time, the carbon monoxide doesn’t poison people because home’s have good ventilation. It can escape!

Problems occur when, for whatever reason, there’s nowhere for the carbon monoxide to escape to, and it builds up indoors, you and your pets breathe it, and you possibly die.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include a headache, dizziness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. Breathing too much of it can make you pass out… or die.

When’s the last time you had your home’s heating system serviced? If you’re not doing so on an annual basis, you need to call a professional and have them do a maintenance check-up to make sure everything’s in proper working order. The same goes for your water heater and any/all gas, oil or coal burning appliances in the home.

Do you have a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home? This alarm could save your life.

Premium Home Inspections of Southeast Michigan can make sure your gas appliances are vented properly. They can check for loose or leaking joints and pipes. They can do carbon monoxide testing, as well as test for radon levels and more. Basically, for your safety and peace-of-mind, it’s a good idea to hire Premium Home Inspections to make sure your home is as safe as possible. Call 586-441-9941 to make an appointment today.